Makes: 8 servings Active time: 45 minutes Total: 1 1/2 hours
This recipe has become a favorite meatless recipe. It uses highly nutritious quinoa in the most delicious way: paired with red sauce, vegetables and cheese! Quinoa provides all essential amino acids so its protein is like eggs and meat.
Its easy to mix and match vegetables. I have successfully made it with roasted eggplant, instead of zucchini or spinach and have also had success if I didn’t happen to have either the mushrooms, zucchini or spinach on hand. Power greens (baby spinach, kale and chard) also work well in this.
If you do choose to add some meat, use half a pound of browned and cooked lean ground beef or lean ground turkey breast.
And this reheats in the microwave so leftovers can be taken to work for lunch.
(Adapted from “Quinoa Revolution” by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
2 cups water (use a tiny bit less water)
1 cup quinoa
2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil 1 cup chopped onion 1 cup sliced mushrooms 2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ½ cups tomato sauce or 1 jar prepared pasta sauce
2 cups no-salt-added low-fat cottage cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 cups sliced zucchini
2 cups packed fresh spinach, tough stems removed
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 13 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Evenly spread the quinoa in the prepared dish.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. 3. Wipe out the saucepan you used for the quinoa, then add oil and heat over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until transparent and starting to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are softened and very little moisture is left in the pan, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauce. Stir until hot. Remove from heat.
- Combine cottage cheese and egg in a medium bowl; mix well. Stir in Parmesan, basil and oregano.
- Spread one-half of the sauce over the quinoa. Make a layer of all the zucchini, then all the cottage cheese mixture, then all the spinach. Finish with the remaining sauce and sprinkle the mozzarella on top.
- Bake the lasagna uncovered until it is hot and the cheese is melted and slightly browned around the edges, 35 minutes. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.