Maria Faires’ Oven Baked ShrimpThis easy to prepare recipe makes shrimp that can be used as a main entrée, to top a salad or as an appetizer.
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled, tail left on and deveined
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 garlic, minced
- ground black pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
- In a medium glass bowl, stir together the olive oil, salt, garlic, and black pepper. Season with crushed red pepper, if desired. Add shrimp, and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerator for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Pour shrimp onto sheet and evenly distribute. Place in oven and bake about 7-8 minutes or until opaque.
- To serve as an appetizer, place a toothpick or party appetizer frill in each and place on a plate.
Makes 6 appetizer servings
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, washed, dried and halved
- 10 to 14 fresh small (1/3 ounce Ciliegine Cherry Size) mozzarella cheese balls, cut into half. Trim edge of ball to flatten
- 25 (2 ½ -inch) wooden frill cocktail appetizer toothpicks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Approach the tomato from the round (not cut side) and thread 1 tomato half, 1 piece of cheese, and another tomato half (approaching from the cut half) onto each skewer. Place skewers in a shallow serving dish. These can be covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and ¼ tsp kosher salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, drizzle oil and vinegar dressing over the skewers; sprinkle with basil and salt and pepper to taste.
Thai restaurant menus have several deep-fried appetizers and I’ve listed my top four to avoid. Deep-fried anything is a caloric and heart-health nightmare.
CRAB PUFFS (Also called Money Bags or Golden Purses)
Golden brown deep-fried jumbo tortellini with stuffing of mixed imitation crab meat and cream cheese.
4 pieces contain 600 calories (150 calories each); 20 grams of fat and 500 mg sodium.
Deep-fried coconut prawns served with plum sauce.
4 small pieces are 355 calories; 24 grams fat; 745 mg sodium.
Mixed vegetables and vermicelli noodle wrapped in wheat paper wrap and deep-fried.
Each roll has 270 calories; 12 grams of fat and 375 mg sodium.
Breaded and deep-fried calamari with seasoned mayonnaise.
20 small pieces contain 300 calories; 16 grams of fat and 690 mg sodium.
*For optimum heart health an adult’s daily diet should consist of roughly 2,000 calories, fewer than 55 grams of fat, and less than 2400 milligrams of sodium.