“Fresh Mex” style Mexican food, places an emphasis on fresh ingredients. And this chicken bowl uses fresh ingredients to create a perfect weeknight dinner or “take to work and reheat lunch”.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a small commission from sales of certain items, but the price is the same for you.
Fresh Mex Chicken Bowl
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen corn (or if corn is in season, cook your own and cut it off the cob with this handy utensil)
- ½ black beans
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 avocado cut into slices or chunks
Prep all your ingredients.
Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
Sauté the chicken, corn, beans, red pepper until heated through and red pepper is slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
As the mixture is heating measure ½ cup hot cooked rice into each of two bowls.
Spoon chicken mixture over the brown rice and top each bowl with 1/4 cup salsa, 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack and avocado chunks.