If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
Have you tried grilled tofu yet? It is delicious! And so nutritious! It naturally neutral flavor is the perfect canvas for a flavorful marinade. Firm tofu keeps its shape on the skewer and is more porous, allowing it to draw more flavor from the marinade.
- Bamboo or metal skewers
- 1 (8 ounce) package of extra firm tofu, drained, patted dry with paper towel and sliced into large chunks, about 3/4 to 1 inch
- 1 zucchini, cut into ½ inch rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch squares (best you can)
- 10 large mushrooms, washed and dried and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno pepper, washed, seeded and diced finely
- ground black pepper to taste
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in a pan filled with water for two hours.
- Place tofu, zucchini, red bell pepper, and mushrooms in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix Sriracha sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, olive oil, onion, jalapeno, and pepper in a small bowl, and pour over tofu and vegetables. Toss lightly to coat. Cover, and allow to marinate at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Reserve any remaining marinade as a dipping sauce.
- Place tofu and vegetables on to skewers alternating vegetables. The recipe can be done to this step, skewers covered and refrigerated a couple hours until ready to grill.
- Prepare your outdoor grill by making sure it is very, very clean.
- Next, oil the barbecue grates well. Serious Eats Food Lab suggests you do it this way: have a small bowl with a few tablespoons of oil in it along with a wadded up paper towels. Grab the towel with a set of tongs and rub the preheated grill grates with the oil-soaked rag. Let the oil smoke for 40 seconds or so, then rub with oil again. Repeat three to four times total to build up a good layer of seasoning.
- Preheat the outdoor grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill each skewer 10 minutes, turning several times, or to desired doneness.