If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
Business trips can, and often do, interrupt one’s normal diet and fitness regimen. The stress and hassles of traveling these days can often tempt one to skip workouts and make poor food choices. It is quite tempting to choose from widely available comfort foods when you are tired and jet lagged. To steer clear from the “Risk of the Bulge” while traveling on business, follow these two easy tips:
Tip 1: Resist Unnecessary Calories
- Lunch and dinner meetings are often mandatory, so making healthy choices at these meetings is critical:
- Choose grilled food whenever possible and avoid those that are fried
- Choose lean proteins – like turkey or chicken breast for sandwiches
- Choose fresh fruit vs. rich, sugary desserts
- Choose vegetables and avoid those with butter or heavy dressings
- Pack your own lunch and snacks for the airplane. Some ideas: Banana, apple, baby aasskl almonds, single-serving nut butters, like JIF or Justin’s, and eat that with a yogurt (must be a container less than 3.4oz) you bring from home.
- Other ideas are single-serving cups of Wholly Guacamole (needs to be refrigerated) or Sabra Hummus (must be refrigerated) to dip cucumbers, carrots, pretzels, rice crackers, or Mary’s Gone Crackers in.A small pack of olives, peanut butter to go, Triscuit Reduced Fat Crackers, The Good Bean Chickpea Snack, dried mango, Trader Joe’s Dried Fruit Unsweetened Blueberries, Justin’s Almond Butter Travel, Planters Mixed Nuts, Antioxidant Mix, Planters Mixed Nuts, Unsalted, Kashi TLC Crunchy Granola Bar, Pumpkin Spice Flax,
- Sandwiches or salads that you have made at home packed with some ice or frozen juices boxes or Gogurts.
- Freeze juice boxes (Less than 3.4oz containers). I like Apple and Eve and Gogurt for the kids.
- Onboard the flight if you want to purchase a snack here is a list of some of the best choices on various airlines.
- This is a list of some of the healthiest airports to eat at and the choices available.
- Pack a refillable water bottle. This highly rated one collapses when not in use. Many airports now have water bottle filling stations. Drink water as much as possible rather than consuming fruit juices and sodas to limit unwanted sugar calories.
- To prevent attacking the mini-bar which is filled with high fat/caloric options, ask the hotel to clean out the mini bar refrigerator.
- Go to a store and purchase fresh fruits and vegetables and stock the mini bar yourself with healthy choices.
- Hotel lounges and bars are frequently used for casual meetings. If alcohol is to be consumed, choosing sugar free or diet mixers with liquor may be a better choice vs. sugary cocktails and other high caloric alcoholic beverages.
Stock up on single-serving grain pouches
Individual portions of cooked whole grains Nature’s Earthly Choice Organic Blend, Seven Grainwork are great for on-the-go grain bowls.You could add a pouch of tuna or this one for extra protein and some veggies that you have purchased at the local grocery store.
Tip 2: Incorporate Caloric Burn at Every Opportunity
- Use stairs or walk at the airport while avoiding escalators, elevators, and people movers.
- Revitalize with a workout in an airport gym or a connected airport hotel gym if you have an extended layover. Many airport hotels will permit access for a nominal day use rate and some even offer workout gear rental.
- Instead of sitting at your gate, walk the terminal until it is time to board.
- Stretch while you are on the airplane.
- Sitting for long periods is a risk factor for blood clots and deep vein thrombosis. There are exercises you can do to improve your blood circulation. Try to get up and walk around when you can. When sitting in your seat, do ankle circles, heel lifts, shoulder rolls, butt squeezes and knee lifts.
- Carry your luggage for strength training instead of rolling it, whenever possible.
- Window shopping or otherwise walking through the terminals during layovers will burn fat, boost circulation in the legs, and relive stress.
- Schedule time to go to the hotel gym and if you’d prefer, do this workout that i have created that can be done without equipment. And many hotels will bring a foam roller, bands or yoga mats to your room.