If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
These make-ahead appetizer skewers are so delicious and impressive.
If you’d like to make a composed Caprese Salad instead, go here for the recipe.
Makes 6 appetizer servings
- 1 pt. grape tomatoes, washed, dried and halved
- 10 to 14 fresh small (1/3 ounce Ciliegine Cherry Size) mozzarella cheese balls, cut into half. Trim edge of ball to flatten
- See below on where to purchase 25 (2 ½ -inch) wooden frill cocktail appetizer toothpicks
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Approach the tomato from the round (not cut side) and thread 1 tomato half, 1 piece of cheese, and another tomato half (approaching from the cut half) onto each skewer. Place skewers in a shallow serving dish. These can be covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Mix together olive oil, balsamic vinegar and ¼ tsp kosher salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, drizzle oil and vinegar dressing over the skewers; sprinkle with basil and salt and pepper to taste.