I have updated this delicious classic salad to be healthier than the old mayonnaise laden, heart-clogging bacon filled potluck favorite by using Olive oil mayo, Greek yogurt and less bacon. I chose a center cut bacon which comes from the center of the pork belly. This area of the pork belly has 25% less fat. If you like raisins better than dried cranberries, certainly use them; I chose them for their beautiful color. You can also add sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, slivered almonds, pecans, or walnuts. Feel free to make this salad a day before serving.
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 5 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 5 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 1 bunch)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
Soak red onion in cold water for 5 minutes; drain and pat with a paper towel .
Combine mayonnaise. Yogurt, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Stir well. Stir in the red onion, broccoli, cranberries, and bacon. Cover and refrigerate.