If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
All the ingredients for this dish can be purchased at Trader Joe’s.
This makes a great side dish or a vegetarian main dish. Either way, there are nutrition benefits from the addition of the garbanzo beans since grains (the whole wheat couscous) + beans = complete protein.
Variations: I’ve made this without the red peppers, beans or spinach if I didn’t have them and its just as good.
PREP TIME 5 mins COOK TIME 5 mins
- 2/3 cups whole wheat couscous
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red or yellow pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice from 1 fresh lemon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- optional: red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, bring 2/3 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the couscous, spinach, red peppers and chickpeas. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add feta, lemon, oil and optional red pepper flakes and stir well. Best served warm, but can also be served cold.