If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
This Chickpea and Avocado Mash is a healthy, easy breakfast, lunch or snack option.
I like to spread it on warm whole grain toast, topped with a sliced tomato and a fried egg. But you can also eat it with crackers or pita crisps, as a vegetable dip, on top of flatbreads, in pitas or wrap, as a sandwich or as a warm crostini appetizer. (See the recipe below). This can also be served as a salad on top of a bed of greens.
This base master recipe also allows you to play around with other flavors, add-ins and ways to use as you like. I’ve given you lots of tasty options here. This recipe can be made 2 days ahead of time and stored in a covered glass bowl in the refrigerator.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and drained and laid on a paper towel to dry some of the moisture
- 1 large ripe avocado
- Juice from 1 lime or lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Whole grain bread, wrap or flatbread, whole grain crackers or pita chips
- Optional Additions: pinch cayenne, Sirracha, chili flakes, dried cranberries, diced red or green onions, diced red pepper, diced dill pickles, chopped fresh cilantro or parsley ½ teaspoon garlic or onion powder, ¼ cup feta cheese
- Optional Toppings: fried egg, spinach, lettuce, arugula, sprouts, radish, grated carrots, sliced radishes, tomato, cucumber, thinly sliced red onion
In a medium bowl, use a pastry blender, fork, or potato masher to mash the chickpeas and avocado together. (Mash as little or as much as you prefer. I like mine a bit lumpy). Add in the lime or lemon juice and season with salt and pepper and add in any optional additions and mix again to incorporate.
Serve in a wrap, on bread, on toast, or as a dip with vegetables or crackers. Top with optional toppings.
Chickpea and Avocado Mash Crostini
- Pop 4 slices of crusty artisan bread in the toaster, or on the middle rack of an oven set at 350 degrees F, until crisp and golden brown.
- Spread the chickpea avocado mash on the toasted bread and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and sea salt.