If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
Spice up your life with za’atar, a traditional eastern Mediterranean spice blend containing sumac berries, toasted sesame, salt, cumin, coriander, thyme, oregano and/or marjoram. Throughout the Mediterranean, za’atar is commonly used as a condiment: commonly sprinkled on chicken, fish, meats, roasted vegetables, breads, or used in dips.
One way to enjoy za’atar is as a simple dip for dipping bread into or spreading on bread or pita and toasting until crispy. Mix 1 part za’atar to a 1 part of olive oil. For a dip, use a more less oil, for a spread a little less. Drizzle in oil slowly until you reach the desired consistency for your needs.
Another way to use Za’atar is on roasted cauliflower. I recently had Za’atar Roasted Cauliflower at a trendy restaurant and recreated it at home. Follow this Roasted Cauliflower recipe but add one teaspoon of za’atar to the oil. Yum! This would be delicious in a grain bowl with ancient grains and chickpeas with some avocado cream.
Using za’atar on potatoes makes them so special and it is so easy.
- 4 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Za’Atar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 ounces petite baby red potatoes, Yukon golds or sweet potatoes, washed, patted dry and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Optional garnish: chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices or wedges
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, za’atar seasoning, garlic powder and about ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper in a zip-top bag. (use more or less as desired)
- Add the potatoes to the bag. Seal the bag and give it a shake so the marinade evenly coats the potatoes. Allow the potatoes to marinate for 5 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Position a rack near the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Spread the potato pieces out onto a 13 x 9 pan, line with foil if desired for easier cleanup.
- Bake the potatoes for 20 minutes.
- Optional, sprinkle with fresh parsley and lemon slices or wedges, serve warm.