I discovered this DELICIOUS combo when I was combining leftovers for a lunch.
I had leftover Garlic Lemon Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower, cooked quinoa, and some of the toasted seasoned walnuts from this Arugula, Chickpea, Walnut, Fig, Goat Cheese salad recipe. Mixed them together in a bowl and heated in the microwave. One bite is all it took to realize I had to turn this into a “recipe” and recreate it time and time again!
This delicious recipe will soon become a favorite go-to recipe. This versatile dish can be used as a side dish or as a meatless main dish. Because there are two complementary plant protein sources, lentils and brown rice, this provides complete protein.
Served as a lunch on top of chopped fresh spinach.
Change it up as you want by adding various vegetables. Mushrooms and sliced olives also work well. Want it more spicy? Add some red pepper flakes or sriracha. And it is so easy to make! Just mix everything right in the baking dish, cover with foil and let it bake while you prep the rest of your meal.
Want to make it vegan? Simply use vegetable broth and omit the cheese.
Brown Rice and Lentil Casserole
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 cup chopped onion or bell pepper or mix of both
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or 2 cloves of minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar, reduced fat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients except the cheese in a 11 x 7 or 13 x 9 glass baking dish.
- Cover tightly with foil and bake for 70 minutes.
- Then remove the foil, top with cheese, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.