Ravioli ai Piselli (Ravioli and Peas)
All these ingredients can be found at Trader Joe’s.
Peas, spinach and butternut squash ravioli are the stars in this classic Italian ravioli and peas dish. The butternut squash is deliciously creamy and you won’t miss the traditional high-fat cheese filling. Using creamy garlic herb Boursin cheese simplifies making of the sauce and adds a mouthwatering flavor.
1/2 container of Boursin Garlic and Fine Herbs cheese
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1/2 pack of Trader Joe’s Organic Baby Spinach, coarsely chopped to ½ pieces
Trader Joe’s Butternut Squash Ravioli (found in the fresh section of the store)
1/2 cup Trader Joe’s frozen peas
Put the cheese, olive oil and spinach in a large bowl and stir.
Bring 4 quarts of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the ravioli. Bring back to a gentle boil. Continue to cook for 3 minutes or to desired tenderness. Drain.
Meanwhile put frozen peas in a small microwavable dish and heat 1-3 minutes until hot.
While the ravioli is draining, heat the bowl with the cheese and spinach in the microwave one minute, remove and stir. Add the hot ravioli and peas to the large bowl with the cheese. Season with a bit of pepper if desired. Stir gently to mix all ingredients together.
All the ingredients for this dish can be purchased at Trader Joe’s.
This makes a great side dish or a vegetarian main dish. Either way, there are nutrition benefits from the addition of the garbanzo beans since grains (the whole wheat couscous) + beans = complete protein.
Variations: I’ve made this without the red peppers, beans or spinach if I didn’t have them and its just as good.
PREP TIME 5 mins COOK TIME 5 mins
- 2/3 cups whole wheat couscous
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red or yellow pepper, chopped or sliced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 4 ounces feta cheese
- 2 Tablespoon lemon juice from 1 fresh lemon
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- optional: red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, bring 2/3 cups of water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the couscous, spinach, red peppers and chickpeas. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add feta, lemon, oil and optional red pepper flakes and stir well. Best served warm, but can also be served cold.
Serve with bread: After you put the seafood in the soup, preheat grill or oven broiler to medium-high. Spread cut slices of bread with olive oil and lightly salt. Place on grill.Grill 2-3 minutes or until golden. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 Leek chopped, save some of the fronds for garnish
- 1 small fennel bulb, core and chop
- Leek split in half lengthwise and then split each half in half
- 1 large pinch saffron, soaked in 2 tablespoons orange juice for 10 minutes (optional)
- 1 orange zested and 2 Tbps orange juice
- 2 (14-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes, in juice
- 8 oz bottle clam juice
- 1 cup stock
- Trader Joe’s Seafood Blend of shrimp calamari and bay scallops
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, leeks, and fennel and sauté until tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add the saffron, orange zest, tomatoes, stock and clam juice.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced by about half, about 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the seafood and parsley. Stir, reduce heat, cook until seafood is cooked, about 2 minutes. Do not overcook the seafood or it will be tough.