If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
This easy chicken fajita recipe will soon be a favorite of your family’s, just like it is in my house.
I serve these fajitas along with either:
Allow 1- 4 hours (but not more or the chicken will get mushy) for the chicken to marinade. This recipe is one of my favorites for cooking while we are on our sailboat.
- 3 Tablespoons canola or olive oil, divided
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika, use smoked paprika if you have it
- Optional for additional spiciness: 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or cut into thin strips or 8 Costco Chicken tenderloins
- 2 medium sweet red or orange peppers, julienned
- 1 cup chopped or sliced onion
- 6 whole wheat flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed. I like Mission Organic Whole Wheat Tortillas
- Serve with your choice of: shredded reduced fat Mexican or cheddar cheese or Cotija cheese, salsa, pico de gallo, sliced radishes, pickled red onion, lime wedges, avocado chunks, guacamole or reduced fat or light sour cream.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. oil, lemon juice and seasonings; add the chicken. Turn to coat; cover. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil. Sauté the peppers and onions until crisp-tender. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. If you are using chicken tenderloins, it will take longer. Return peppers and onions to pan and heat through.
- Warm the tortillas. I like this tortilla warmer found on Amazon. Spoon filling down the center of tortillas; fold in half. Serve with toppings as desired.
RV, Boat or Camping Instructions
12 x 10 Aluminum Pan
Combine salt, pepper and spices in a small jar or two small plastic bags. The spices give off a strong odor so it helps to have in a glass container or doubled plastic bags.
Pre-slice chicken and put it in a ziptop gallon freezer bag and freeze.
Pack a lemon and canola oil, red peppers, onion and tortillas and any toppings.
To prepare, thaw the chicken and drain any liquid. To the bag, add 2 Tbsp oil, lemon juice and salt, pepper and spices that you have pre-packed in a jar. Squish around to mix the all the ingredients and coat the chicken. Refrigerate for 1-4 hours. When you are ready to cook, add 1 Tbsp oil to the aluminum pan and follow the recipe above over a barbecue grill, stovetop or campfire (away from direct flames). Right before serving, place 2 tortillas on top of the chicken and vegetables to warm them.