If you click on one of my recommended item links and then place an order through Amazon, I receive a small commission on that sale, at no extra expense to you.
Delicious wood fired style pizza made at home. I actually developed this recipe for use on our sailboat trips. It’s easy to pack the frozen dinner rolls and the ingredients in the cooler and assemble and cook the pizzas on our little grill. And what a treat to have fresh pizza!
Maria’s Grilled Pizza
- 1 pound frozen pizza dough, thawed or 9 dinner roll (I use Rhode’s frozen dinner rolls)
- 3/4 cups pizza tomato sauce
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly
- Basil, cut into long, thin strips (if you are unsure how, there are lots of videos online)
- Topping Ideas: No preservative chicken meatballs, thinly sliced; goat cheese dollops, chopped olives, feta, artichoke hearts, diced chicken, pineapple, mushrooms, prosciutto
- 2 cups Mozzarella or 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella, 1/4 cup shredded asiago, 1/4 cup shredded fontina, and 1/4 cup shredded provolone
Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
On a piece of foil, press out dough into 14×10-inch rectangle and lightly brush one side with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. If you are using dinner rolls, combine several.
Turn dough rectangle upside down directly onto a grill rack; peel off foil.
Place rack of dough on gas grill over medium-low heat or on charcoal grill 4 to 6 inches from medium-low coals.
Cook uncovered 2 to 4 minutes or until bubbly and bottom is light golden brown, slightly charred and rigid. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) With wide metal pancake turner or tongs, turn crust over. Remove grill rack and dough.
Put toppings on: Top crust evenly with pizza sauce; tomatoes, basil, toppings, sprinkle with cheese. Put grill rack with pizza on it back on the grill. Continue to watch carefully.
Cover grill; cook 2 to 4 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
Repeat with the second piece of dough.