Sunday morning and day 5 of Covid-19 self shelter-in-place. Luckily I had some items in the pantry and the refrigerator so I was able to create a delicious brunch.
These quesadillas are packed with protein from the eggs and beans. I make them with whole-grain tortillas for some nutritional bonus points and add enough cheese to make sure they’re both enticing and delicious. Use the cheese as your first and last layer to “anchor” the ingredients to the tortillas.
Breakfast Quesadillas for 2
4 Mission Organic Whole Wheat Tortillas (These are my favorites but any tortilla would work)
3 whole eggs and 3 whites, yolks discarded
Reduced Fat Cheddar or Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese (You could also add crumbled feta or goat cheese)
½ a can of drained black beans warmed
Optional fillings: sautéed bell pepper, chopped cilantro, onion and jalapeño
Optional toppings: salsa, reduced fat sour cream, avocado chunks
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat, add oil to the pan and scramble the eggs as you typically would. Remove the eggs to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet and then wipe the pan with olive oil. Put one tortilla in the pan then sprinkle the tortilla with some cheese. Cover the cheese evenly with the half the eggs and half the beans and some more cheese over the fillings, and then top with another tortilla.
- Let the quesadilla cook until golden and crispy on the bottom, about 2 minutes, reducing the heat if necessary to prevent burning the tortilla.
- Brush the top with a light coating of oil, then flip it and cook until the second side is golden and crispy.
- Immediately remove the skillet from the heat and transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board. Let it cool for a minute to give the cheese time to set, then slice it into 4 pieces. Serve promptly, with any toppings that you’d like.
- Repeat for your second quesadilla.